Friday, January 22

Watermelon Cake and Rainbow Cake

So this past year for my birthday I wanted a reeeally cool cake and I had the exact one I wanted in my head. So I decided to make one myself :-)
It was super easy to make and I loved the way it turned out :-)

You just take-
*Any store bought angel food cake mix (Unless you want to make it yourself)
*Food Coloring
*Heavy Whipping Cream
*Chocolate Chips

First you mix up your angel food cake batter. Then you dump in enough red food coloring until its the color you want it (somewhere close to watermelon color). Next you take two or so smaller handfuls of chocolate chips and mix it into the batter. Then, bake it in two thin round pans.
While the cakes are cooling off you can make the whipped cream.
Store bought whipped cream is good, but homemade whipped cream is the best :-). Take a pint of whipping cream and tablespoon of sugar (you can double or even triple this recipe depending on how much whipped cream you want to end up with, (its one tablespoon of sugar for each pint of cream.) I don't remember exactly how much we used on this cake, but you can always just eat any extras :-P) All you do is whip the two with a hand mixer or a whisk until its as sturdy as you like it and then add in green food coloring. When the cakes are cool all you have to do is ice them and viola! Delicious watermelon cake! :-)

Here's how my cake turned out:

The outside:


The inside:
The chocolate chips look like seed in the pink inside so when you cut into its like a slice of watermelon :-)



The next day we had lots of whipping cream left over and I had really been wanting to try this Rainbow Cake tutorial I found a link to on ThreadBanger. Here are my results (I used lighter food coloring so my colors were more pastel, whereas theirs were brighter):


All the separate bowls of batter:



Once they were all mixed together before they were baked:


The final product from the outside


With a slice out of it:



Close-up:
It was delicious and purdy :-) I just used the a fore mention tutorial on angel food cake and added my own whipped cream icing :-)





*Phew!* Long post haha :-) Thanks for looking! Hope I inspired you to make more cake :-P






~Courtney :-)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's one bright cake! I love it! :D

    thekitkatstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete